Sunday, December 23, 2012

Opportunity Cost

The other day I was thinking about Slam Piece and his thing with that girl. Now they both aren't the two most visually appealing characters and yet they had a relationship going on. It got me thinking, which one of them settled?

I've been thinking about settling a lot lately. You hear and see it all the time. I'm sure we all have a friend who has been like, "I'm really into SoandSo but WhatsItsName really has been there and is nice and I'm just looking to be happy so I'll be with them". It makes sense if all you're looking for is someone to sit comfortably with by the fire and read magazines with but it doesn't sound exciting. Where is the excitement in forever knowing that you short changed yourself? I can't say I understand the phenonmenon. I look back at every girl I've had a relationship with and at some point in time, there was a drawing point that they had that I just could not make out on the faces of anyone else. People have been telling me to just up and find the closest thing to what I want but seeing as I haven't even found what I want, how am I meant to find the next best thing?

I don't see myself finding someone and shacking up for the sake of always having someone around. I'm a heavy affectionate person. I've discovered recently that I have these reserves of affection that I just need to get out of me and lately they've been dealt with by having a cuddle here and holding a hand there or a bit of kissing to pass the time. There hasn't been anything else to it besides the fact that I feel like being a little affectionate at the time. That may sound like normal human nature. People could argue and say "Well that's what hooking up is" but I don't see it that way. If I casually just hold your hand out of the blue, more often than not I'm just releasing my pent up affection. I'm not being some guy who's trying to get into your pants, I don't want us to date and play happy families, I just want to feel the heat of a palm on my own. I know it sounds weird and freakish but once you've felt the quiet calm that comes from that form of contentment, there really isnt much else that could trump that. I think that's what I'll always miss from any relationship I have, the quiet stillness of embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment