Friday, August 26, 2011

Hello different

Have you ever tried to define yourself?

Over the years I've gone through my stages. I was once an OG with my baggy clothes, baseball cap and bling. I was a skater. I once bought a guitar, a few are sitting somewhere in this house. I did dabble on the keyboard. I was once an avid gamer too. I became a tech junkie. I did the art thing for a while because thats what everyone's done in this house it seems. I was a nerd. I was a match maker too at some point. Haha and now?

I came across Jengina's blog the other day, I followed a link and it took me there and I was very happy inside. I found myself reading "Between The Lines", clever title by the way, and I realized something, Im not Indie. Haha I've never claimed to be Indie or anything, dont get me wrong, but when I was going through that, something in my head said "You know what you aren't? You aren't Indie". Im not saying Jengina is Indie or anything either.

Im not your typical black person am I? Im metallic brown for a start. I listen to everything besides RnB and House. I wear jeans and a t shirt but I dont subscribe to any following. I've only ever been to one public school and that was for a year in grade 1. My best mates are white. Im secretly British. Im not normal.

Im not the only one of this kind. Over the years I've noticed more black guys leaving the comfort of cultural ties to venture out in the world of mixed race. Back in the day the only black guys like that were from under priviledged families who were taken in by a sort of adoptive white family and then were crucified by every black guy out there for being different.

This sorta thing, this being different, was mainly seen in university students. The kinda people that have gone through it all and have found their own style and identity. Obviously each person has their own self and who they are. Im thankful everyday that Im not a jock.

What I really dont like tho is the whole flash nature thats been adopted. The haircuts? No Im sorry but they're stupid in my eyes. Granted I did have a phase of messing around with my own hair which I think now was very stupid but this is on a whole new level. Express yourself however you want but like it must be known that I will judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment