Thursday, April 18, 2013

That Excitement of Carla's

I saw Carla's status about meeting the City Bowls at the airport and it just made my heart leap. She seemed excited about it and I wanted to hug her ever so tight and whisper into her ear, "I know that feel." I was very happy for her because I know how excited I get inside after I have a conversation with someone who does something I think is just amazing. I love that excitement of Carla's. I could just see it in my mind's eye. I've been Carla.

I've met the City Bowls, I've had various conversations with the members in various states of inebriation and every time it's just been fantastic. Over the last year and a half I've met a lot of really great people. I've been lucky to work in a place that has given me maximum exposure to some really awesome and talented musicians, but also some really out of this world people. I once thought that the be all and end all of cool people was the tiny little cluster of people in the upper highway. A very stupid thought now that I think about it but I once thought that I would just kick it, party and fall in love with people up and around there. For a long time that's what it was like, that was life. I remember every weekend being surrounded by the same faces and going to the same places and being content with it but now that I look back, it was pretty jutt. It lost it's appeal after a while and started to feel like scratching on a wound. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying I don't appreciate the times and lessons learnt in those circles because I do, they've shaped me up to who I am today. I met my best friends there, I came across my first love there and I still frequent it. I'm just thankful that I partially got out of there when I did.

I've been blessed with the kind of personality that let's people gravitate to me. Sometimes I often feel it to be a curse but it really does have its uses. Looking through my phone now, I have the contact details of so many random people I've met and every time I go through them, my mind always plays back a fuzzy, faded memory of how they got there. I usually don't do much about it the day after but there have been those people that have become a part of my life, some of them a really big one. I love the Durban scene. It's a friendly place and everyone knows everyone. Along the lines you do get a few proper douche bags (like the dick who wanted to fight with me at Z&G just because I was standing next to the most awe-inspiring, bite-the-back-of-your-hand beautiful girl I have ever laid my eyes on and her and I were sharing a drink) but that really doesn't detract from just how great these people are.

I know there's gonna come a time when I do eventually leave the 031 all together, I can already feel it looming above me and I know I'll have a major gaping hole where home usually is but I do understand that it's something that just has to happen. My wanderlust and ADHD will kick in and I'll have to kick it, just for me. I can't wait for that day to come, but for now, I'm enjoying myself.
Sent from my BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment