Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Phone Etiquette

I hate speaking to people over the phone, it's something quite evident in the way I never phone people. Wait, let me rephrase that, I hate speaking to people over the phone if I have to phone them.

The way I see it, if someone phones me then they wanted to have a conversation with me and so I assume the have something to say, have planned a conversation and so they'll entertain me. If not and we're reduced to awkward silences then it's only their own time their wasting and so have themselves to blame. I hate phoning people. I always worry that they're busy and I'll be phoning at the wrong time and I always think of what I'm gonna say before I do. I had to phone Taryn The School Lady the other day to sort out Friday and I'd planned everything I was gonna say and before I lost my nerve I dialled that number like a boss. As soon as I got a 'Hello' I went into my planned conversation. I did the hello's and the how are you's as politely as I possibly could and then dived into the heart of the matter, asking about whether I could come in and what time, the usual things. Half way through, she asks what I'm talking about, sounding all confused and so now I get confused, and she's like "Msizi what are you talking about?" It then clicks in my brain that I've gone and phoned little Taryn James and not Taryn The School Lady. Haha ah when I finally got it right, I nailed it to a T and it made me think. I was so absorbed in my set plan that I didn't even notice the little things like how she knew who I was without me saying my name, how familiar her voice sounded.

Haha there are those certain people I could speak to on the phone for hours and those that I can't wait for them to hang up. Speaking on the phone is a dying art and I'm not doing anything to help it out by getting nervous when I have to make any kinda call, but we're all different. 'Everyone to themselves.'

No comments:

Post a Comment