Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Othello by any other name

There's always some sort of reaction I get when people find out who Im dating, not necessarily who but her skin colour.

Its always "Whats her name? Ok cool, is she black?". The reaction after that isn't always so predictable. Its either I get a high 5, a shake of the hand, a huge band with dancing girls and brazilian fire-eaters or one of those looks that you kinda give to a dying dog after its been hit by a train, the poor thing didnt know what it was doing and before it knew it, death was calling, why did it go out when it had everything it wanted at home?

I dont get why its such a huge deal. If I happen to be with a white doll at the time some people see it as an achievement of sorts. If I was dating a bear or a crocodile or a car then I would understand, then I would be doing something huge that deserves a reputation. Just recently a bunch of girls got all aggro with me claiming they were obviously not good enough because they were black, you weren't good enough cuz you are haggard and annoy me, thats the end of it.

What I have noticed tho is that none of the black girls I've dated seem to have a very strong black name. There was Kayleigh Black who was black funny enough, there was Cindy, there was Amy, there was Minnie and granted her name is Minenhle but no one calls her that, all the Minenhle's I know are called Mini, its like an unwritten rule of the world, strange cats...

The one time my uncle once said if I married a white doll he would disown me, that would be funny because firstly im not getting married and I sure as hell am not getting married for his sake. My dad probably wouldn't care, he'd probably be like ok well thats nice. My mom would be interesting. She'd be amped that I've found someone else to feed me but there is always the case of is any girl good enough for her son. I guess with any interracial relationship there is always the stigma of whether or not keeping with your own kind isn't the right thing to do. Personally I dont give a crap, I've been through that and dealt with what comes of it and the only thing that I can say has phased me is whether or not my family would accept me marrying a crocodile, that would be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment